Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Can fear be useful?

Many of us motivate ourselves with fear. This may be effective, but is it really good for us? One of the 16 truths of Ifa is, we need have no fear. This can be very challenging for anyone who has been brought up in an environment where fear of hell, karma, whatever, prevents bad behavior.

I was very relieved when I finally let go of my fear.  Shortly afterward I stopped taking my practice as seriously. As an Ifa priest, day to day work is critical to my growth. Over time I realized that I had been motivated by fear.

How else could I motivate myself? I started to look at the results in my life.  The more I ignored my work, the more I veered off path. Eventually I started to suffer.

That suffering was not caused by a vengeful Universe. It was caused by my refusal to meet the commitments I had made to my own growth. The result was that I began to miss opportunities. I began to stagnate. Eventually I slid backwards.

I was unable to cope with the stress I was creating in my life. I put pressure on myself to do things that didn’t align with my purpose. My relationships started to suffer. I began to feel lost and disconnected from myself. I was miserable.

An inspirational moment with my husband allowed me to see just how out of balance I had become. I realized that I had spent most of my life motivated by a fear of being punished for not achieving my destiny. I wish I had opened up and shared this with someone sooner.

We do our work because it is the most certain path to the love, fulfillment and success that are our birthright. The Universe is set up to reward good character in the long term. If you’re not happy with your life take a look at where your motivation is coming from. The Universe is benevolent. There really is no reason to be afraid.

Connect with Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment